I hope you also have food craving as much as I do. Especially on weekends – every hour, every minute, every second I dream of food.
My craving is highly influenced by the time of the day. But the food that I crave the most is my mom’s made food. Nothing like that! And I miss that so much in Germany. I am sure that everyone misses their mom’s food.
Talking of this I am reminded of a scene from the movie Ratatouille where remy cooks for Ego. Food must bring that contentment to mind and fill your stomach, and bring that huge smile of satisfaction.
So, I was looking at my kitchen shelf and at the same time I was having a war with my laziness – Should I just eat egg sandwich or should I make theplas? Theplas won. Hurrraaaay 😛 😛 ! It was time-consuming but totally worth the time and the effort.
My Recipe for Thepla
1 and a 1/2 bowl of whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
1 tbsp crushed garlic
1/2 cup kasuri methi – if you don’t have this then you can use finely shredded Cabbage . It tastes equally good.
1/2 cup yoghurt
Salt and sugar according to taste.
Peanut oil – This enhances the taste so much.
I prefer my theplas spicy and sweet.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and knead into a semi-soft dough. You can use water if it is too dry.
- Knead the dough well using a little oil. Cover and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 7 to 10 equal portions and roll out each portion as thin as you can using whole wheat flour for rolling. Shape doesn’t matter. Taste does 😉
- If you like to eat crispy theplas then sprinkle some powdered sugar and roll just once so that the sugar sticks to the thepla.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook each thepla, using a little oil, till it turns golden brown in colour from both sides.
Serve your thepla’s hot with pickle, adrak ki chai, green chutney, mithi chutney, yoghurt or some sabzi OR Just eat it.
I ate my theplas with mango pickle and cauliflower sabzi which was followed by two cups of hot ginger tea in indian style.
I am so so happy now after eating theplas. Ghar ki yaad agayi, sach mein.
Try this one, I am sure you will love it. 🙂
Lots of love,